Brand Name: Tindamax
Active Ingredient: tinidazole
Strength(s): 250mg and 500mg
Dosage Form(s): Tablet
Company Name: Presutti Laboratories
Availability: Prescription only
*Date Approved by the FDA: May 17, 2004
*Approval by FDA does not mean that the drug is available at this time.
What is Tindamax used for?
Tindamax is used to treat the following infections caused by human parasites:
trichomoniasis, a sexually transmitted disease where both partners should be treated.
giardiasis, an infection of the intestines.
amebiasis, an infection of the intestines that may spread throughout the body.
Who should not take Tindamax?:
You should not take Tindamax if:
* you are allergic to tinidazole or any other ingredient in Tindamax, or to any other medicines like Tindamax .
* you are in your first trimester of pregnancy.
Special Warnings with Tindamax:
* Metronidazole, a medicine like Tindamax, has caused cancer in mice and rats. For this reason, Tindamax should be used only to treat the 3 infections listed in “What is Tindamax used for?ï¿½
* Tindamax may cause seizures and peripheral neuropathy (numbness and tingling in the hands and feet). Stop taking Tindamax and see your doctor right away if you have these symptoms.
General Precautions with Tindamax:
* Tindamax should be taken with food.
* Do not drink alcohol while taking Tindamax and for 3 days after stopping Tindamax.
What should I tell my health care provider?
Tell your health care provider if you:
have a central nervous system disease
have or had any blood cell problem
have liver disease
are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are nursing
Tell your health care provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your health care provider if you take:
cyclosporine (Gengrafï¿½, Neoralï¿½, Sandimmuneï¿½), tacrolimus (Prografï¿½)
rifampin (Rifadinï¿½, Rimactaneï¿½)
cholestyramine (Questranï¿½, Locholestï¿½)
These medicines may affect how Tindamax works, or Tindamax may affect how these medicines work.
What are some possible side effects of Tindamax? (This list is NOT a complete list of side effects reported with Tindamax. Your health care provider can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
The most common side effects of Tindamax include:
* metallic or bitter taste in your mouth
* loss of appetite
* cramps and stomach area (abdominal) pain
* weakness, tiredness
Reports of patientsï¿½ experience after Tindamax became available:
For more detailed information about Tindamax, ask your health care provider or pharmacist.