What is Emend used for?
Emend is an antiemetic medicine for use in adult patients. An antiemetic is a medicine used to prevent and control nausea and vomiting. Emend is used:
* with other antiemetic medicines to prevent and control nausea and vomiting caused by your chemotherapy treatment.
* by itself to prevent nausea and vomiting after an operation.
Emend is not used to treat nausea and vomiting that you already have.
Who should not take Emend?
You should not take Emend if:
* you are taking any of the following medicines (taking Emend with these medicines could cause serious or life-threatening problems)
o Orap (pimozide)
o Seldane (terfenadine)
o Hisminal (astemizole)
o Propulsid (cisapride)
* are allergic to any of the ingredients in Emend.
What should I tell my doctor or healthcare provider?
Tell your healthcare provider:
* if you are trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
* if you have or had liver problems.
* about all your medical problems.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Some of these products may affect how Emend works and Emend may affect how some medicines work.
Especially tell your healthcare provider if you are on:
* Coumadin (warfarin)
* birth control pills.
Emend may affect how these medicines work.
What are some possible side effects of Emend? (This list is NOT a complete list of side effects reported with Emend. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
The most common side effects with Emend are:
* loss of appetite
For more detailed information about Emend, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist.