Brand Name: Tikosyn
Active Ingredient: dofetilide
Strength(s): 125mcg, 250mcg, & 500mcg
Dosage Form(s): Capsules
Company Name: Pfizer Inc.
Availability: Prescription only
*Date Approved by FDA: October 4, 1999
*Approval by FDA does not mean that the drug is available for consumers at this time.
Do Not Buy Tikosyn Over the Internet
* You should not buy Tikosyn over the Internet because you will bypass important safeguards designed to protect your health (and the health of others).
* Tikosyn has special safety restrictions on how it is distributed to the public. Also, drugs
purchased from foreign Internet sources are not the FDA-approved versions of the drugs, and
they are not subject to FDA-regulated manufacturing controls or FDA inspection of manufacturing facilities.
What is Tikosyn used for?
Tikosyn is a medicine that is given to patients with irregular heartbeats (atrial fibrillation). Tikosyn may help the heart beat more regularly and stay beating regularly for a longer period of time.
Who should not take Tikosyn?
You should not take Tikosyn if you:
Are taking certain other medicines, including:
* cimetidine (TAGAMET, TAGAMET HB)ï¿½, used to treat heartburn, upset stomach, and stomach ulcers, available both by prescription and without a prescription
* verapamil (CALAN, CALAN SR, COVERA-HS, ISOPTIN, ISOPTIN SR, VERELAN, VERELAN PM)ï¿½, used to treat high blood pressure and certain heart problems
* ketoconazole (NIZORAL)ï¿½, used to treat certain fungus infections
* trimethoprim alone (PROLOPRIM, TRIMPEX)ï¿½ or the combination of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole (BACTRIM, SEPTRA)ï¿½, used to treat certain bacterial infections
* prochlorperazine (COMPAZINE)ï¿½, used to treat nausea and vomiting
* megestrol (MEGACE)ï¿½, used to treat certain types of cancer or loss of appetite
and weight loss associated with AIDS
Have serious kidney problems or are on kidney dialysis.
Special Warning(s) with Tikosyn:
In some patients, Tikosyn can cause a different type of abnormal heartbeat that can be dangerous and in rare cases even cause death. The different type of heartbeat may be a fast beating of the heart with lightheadedness and fainting. The possibility of this different type of abnormal heartbeat is the reason you and your doctor have discussed whether your symptoms are troublesome enough for you to start taking Tikosyn.
General Precautions with Tikosyn:
Tell your doctor about any problems you have with your:
What should I tell my doctor or health care provider?
Be sure to tell your health care provider about all prescription and non-prescription medicines you are taking, as well as vitamins, dietary supplements, and any natural or herbal remedies.
Taking certain other medications with Tikosyn can increase the amount of Tikosyn in your body and cause the different type of abnormal heartbeat, including medicines used to treat:
* Heart conditions
* High blood pressure
* Depression and other mental problems
* Hay fever
* Skin problems
Tell your health care provider if you are pregnant or breast-feeding a child.
What are some possible side effects of Tikosyn? (This is NOT a complete list of side effects reported with Tikosyn. Your health care provider can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
TikosynâEUR(TM)s most serious side effect, the different type of dangerous abnormal heartbeat is described in the “Special Warnings” section.
Other common side effects of Tikosyn are:
* Chest pain
For more detailed information about Tikosyn, ask your health care provider.