Decitabine (marketed as Dacogen)
What Is Dacogen?
Dacogen is an injectable medicine used to treat adults with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). MDS is a group of diseases affecting the bone marrow and blood cells.
Dacogen has not been studied in children.
Who Should Not Be Treated With Dacogen?
You should not be given Dacogen if you are allergic to Dacogen or any of its ingredients.
What Are The Risks?
The following are the major potential risks and side effects of Dacogen therapy. However, this list is not complete.
The following are the major possible risks and side effects of Dacogen therapy:
* harm to an unborn baby. Dacogen may harm an unborn baby. Women who can get pregnant should avoid becoming pregnant during treatment with Dacogen. Men should not father a child during treatment with Dacogen, and should wait for 2 months afterwards.
* decrease in white blood cells called neutropenia, which can increase your risk to infections.
* decrease in platelets called thrombocytopenia, which can cause you to bruise easily or increase your risk of bleeding.
* other common side effects that may occur with Dacogen include:
o small red dots on skin
o high sugar
This is NOT a complete list of side effects reported with Dacogen. Your health care professional can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Professional?
Before you start taking Dacogen, tell your healthcare professional if you:
* have or had liver problems
* have or had kidney problems
* are trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding
* are planning to father a child while on the treatment or shortly afterwards.
* are allergic to Dacogen or to any of the ingredients in Dacogen
Can other Medicines or Food affect Dacogen?
Dacogen and certain other medicines may interact with each other. Tell your healthcare professional about all the medicines you take including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show your healthcare professional.
How Should I Receive Dacogen?
Dacogen is given by injection in a vein (I.V. infusion).
Most importantly, Dacogen should not be taken without close supervision by a specialist who is expert in treating MDS.