Dalteparin is a sodium mixture used in an injection in a sterile, low molecular weight heparin. It is available in single dosages so that it is more convenient for the person to take. This mixture of water and sodium chloride ensure physiologic ionic strength in the injection. You can get Daleparin in a pre-filled syringe or you can get it in a vile. Dalteparin is an anticoagulant or a blood thinner that helps prevent the formation of blood clots in the blood stream. Dalteparin is used to treat or prevent blood clots in the veins, arteries, or lungs that can be caused by cancer or certain heart conditions. Surgeons also use Dalteparin to reduce the risk of blood clots during surgery.
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to daleparin or pork products, or if you have any other blood conditions. Tell your doctor if you suffer from problems caused by diabetes or high blood pressure. Tell your doctor about any other prescriptions, over the counter drugs, or supplements that you are taking. As these could have adverse effects on your body.
Taking dalteparin has a risk of some side effects. Most side effects are not serious but if you experience any of these call your doctor and get council. Side effects include:
- Itching or burning skin
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Some side effects are serious and if you experience any of them call your doctor at once. Dalteprine’s serious side effects include:
- Easy bruising or bleeding,
- Unusual weakness
- Any bleeding that will not stop
- Blood in your urine or stools
- Black or tarry stools
- Coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- Bruising, bleeding, swelling, or skin changes where medicine was injected
- Feeling light-headed
- Sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden head ache, confusion, problems with vision, speech or balance
- Pain or swelling in one or both legs
- Trouble breathing.
Dalteparine may have similar side effects to Plavix. Plavix side effects include:
- excessive tiredness
- stomach pain
The following side effects are serious and if you are taking Plavix and experience any of these call your doctor immediately:
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- black and tarry stools
- red blood in stools
- bloody vomit
- vomit that looks like coffee grounds
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- slow or difficult speech
- weakness or numbness of an arm or a leg
- vision loss
- shortness of breath
- fast heartbeat
- pale skin
- purple patches or bleeding under the skin
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
If you have any other questions contact your doctor.