Cymbalta (duloxetine) is an antidepressant in a group of drugs called selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs). Cymbalta affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression.
Cymbalta is used to treat major depressive disorder and general anxiety disorder.
Cymbalta is also used to treat a chronic pain disorder called fibromyalgia, treat pain caused by nerve damage in people with diabetes (diabetic neuropathy) and to treat chronic musculoskeletal pain, including discomfort from osteoarthritis and chronic lower back pain.
Cymbalta may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to Cymbalta: skin rash or hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Report any new or worsening symptoms to your doctor, such as: mood or behavior changes, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, or if you feel impulsive, irritable, agitated, hostile, aggressive, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), more depressed, or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects while taking Cymbalta:
- nausea, pain in your upper stomach, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- feeling like you might pass out;
- agitation, hallucinations, fever, fast heart rate, overactive reflexes;
- very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, fast or uneven heartbeats, tremors;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding;
- painful or difficult urination;
- headache, trouble concentrating, memory problems, weakness, feeling unsteady, loss of coordination, fainting, seizure, shallow breathing or breathing that stops; or
- severe skin reaction:- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
Less serious Cymbalta side effects may include:
- dry mouth;
- tired feeling;
- mild nausea or loss of appetite; or
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.