Bimatoprost (marketed as Lumigan)
This is a summary of the most important information about Lumigan. For details, talk to your healthcare professional.
What is Lumigan used for?
Lumigan is used to treat increased eye pressure caused by open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension in adult patients.
Who should not use Lumigan?
You should not use Lumigan if you:
* are pregnant or trying to become pregnant
* are allergic to Lumigan or to any of the ingredients in Lumigan including benzalkonium chloride
Special Warnings Concerning Lumigan:
Lumigan may cause:
* your treated eye or eyes to change color (become more brown)
* the skin around the eye such as the eyelid to darken
* eyelashes to increase in length, thickness, darkness and/or number
These changes happen slowly and may be permanent. The long-term effects of these changes are not known.
Lumigan may also cause the middle part of the eye to swell and hold fluid (macular edema).
General Precautions with Lumigan:
* Remove contact lenses before using Lumigan in the eyes. Wait 15 minutes after using Lumigan before putting in your contact lenses because Lumigan contains a preservative that may be absorbed by the lens.
* Lumigan must be used at least 5 minutes apart from other eye medicines.
* Do not let the tip of the Lumigan medicine dropper touch your eye or skin to avoid contamination of the solution in the bottle.
What should I tell my doctor or healthcare provider?
Tell your healthcare provider if you:
* have pain, warmth, or swelling in the eyes
* are trying to become pregnant, are already pregnant, or are breast-feeding
* wear contact lenses
* have a history of or risk factors for macular edema
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Some medicines may affect how Lumigan works or Lumigan may affect how your other medicines work.
What are some possible side effects of Lumigan? (This is not a complete list of side effects reported with Lumigan. Your healthcare provider can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
The most common side effects include:
* red eyes
* growth of eyelashes
* itchy eyes
* blurry vision
* eye discomfort or pain
* sensation of having an object in the eye