Hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic (water pill) that helps prevent your body from absorbing too much salt, which can cause fluid retention.
Olmesartan is in a group of drugs called angiotensin II receptor antagonists. Olmesartan keeps blood vessels from narrowing, which lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow.
The combination of hydrochlorothiazide and olmesartan is used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
You should not use this medication if you are allergic to olmesartan or hydrochlorothiazide (Carozide, Diaqua, Ezide HCTZ, HydroDiuril, Microzide, and others), or if you are unable to urinate.
To make sure you can safely take hydrochlorothiazide and olmesartan, tell your doctor if you have any of these other conditions:
- kidney disease;
- liver disease;
- congestive heart failure;
- low or high levels of potassium in your blood;
- asthma or allergies;
- high cholesterol or triglyceride levels;
- diabetes; or
- an allergy to sulfa drugs.
FDA pregnancy category D. Do not use this medication if you are pregnant. Stop using this medication and tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant. Olmesartan can cause injury or death to the unborn baby if you take the medicine during your second or third trimester. Use effective birth control while taking hydrochlorothiazide and olmesartan. Hydrochlorothiazide and olmesartan can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while you are using hydrochlorothiazide and olmesartan.
- eye pain, vision problems;
- feeling like you might pass out;
- chest pain, feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling, rapid weight gain;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
- dry mouth, increased thirst, drowsiness, restless feeling, confusion, increased urination, fast heart rate, feeling light-headed, fainting, or seizure (convulsions).
Less serious side effects may include:
- stomach pain, heartburn, diarrhea;
- joint pain;
- dizziness, spinning sensation;
- headache; or
- dry cough.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.