Brand Name: Radiogardase
Active Ingredient: Prussian blue
Strength(s): 500 mg
Dosage Form(s): capsule
Company Name: HEYL Chemisch ï¿½pharmazeutische Fabrik GmbH & Co. KG.
Availability: Prescription only
*Date Approved by FDA: October 2, 2003
*Approval by FDA does not mean that the drug is available for consumers at this time.
What is Radiogardase used for?
Radiogardase is given to people with known or suspected exposure to radioactive cesium-137 or radioactive or non-radioactive thallium. Radiogardase binds with radioactive cesium-137 or radioactive or non-radioactive thallium to help them pass out of the body faster. Radiogardase does not treat the complications of radiation exposure.
General Precautions with Regardase:
* Radiogardase may cause constipation. A fiber based laxative and/or high fiber diet is recommended during treatment.
* Cesium-137 passes out of the body in urine and stools. You should take safety measures to make sure others are not exposed to your urine, stools, or blood.
* Radiogardase may make your stool blue-colored.
* Radiogardase may turn the mouth and teeth blue in people who cannot swallow capsules, when the capsules are opened and mixed with food and eaten.
What should I tell my healthcare provider?
Tell your health care provider:
* if you are pregnant or are breast-feeding
* if you have constipation, diarrhea or other problems with bowel movements.
Tell your health care provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your health care provider if you take tetracycline. Radiogardase may affect how tetracycline and other medicines work.
What are some possible side effects of Radiogardase? (This is NOT a complete list of side effects reported with Radiogardase. Your health care provider can discuss with you a more complete list of side effects.)
Some common side effects with Radiogardase include:
* upset stomach
For more detailed information about Radiogardase, ask your health care provider.