Fenofibrate Side Effects
Fenofibrate helps reduce cholesterol and triglycerides (fatty acids) in the blood. High levels of these types of fat in the blood are associated with an increased risk of atherosclerosis (clogged arteries).
Fenofibrate is used to treat high cholesterol and high triglyceride levels.
You should not use fenofibrate if you are allergic to it, or if you have:
- liver disease;
- severe kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis);
- gallbladder disease;
- if you are breast-feeding a baby.
To make sure fenofibrate is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- kidney disease;
- heart disease;
- a thyroid disorder; or
- a history of pancreatitis or liver disease.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether fenofibrate will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction to fenofibrate: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
In rare cases, fenofibrate can cause a condition that results in the breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue, leading to kidney failure. Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness especially if you also have fever, unusual tiredness, and dark colored urine.
Stop using fenofibrate and call your doctor at once if you have:
- severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and vomiting, fast heart rate;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
- chest pain, sudden cough, wheezing, rapid breathing, coughing up blood; or
- pain, swelling, warmth, or redness in one or both legs.
Common fenofibrate side effects may include:
- mild stomach pain;
- back pain;
- headache; or
- runny or stuffy nose.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.