Balziva is a type of hormone medication used as a contraceptive or birth control pill. It contains 2 hormones, progestin and an estrogen. This pill prevents pregnancy using several methods: the first method is through preventing the release of an egg, second is changing the cervical mucus, and third is changing the womb lining which inhibits implantation. All three of these methods make it very difficult for an egg and sperm to successfully fertilize. Balziva is shown to make your period more regular, decrease blood loss and make periods less painful. Birth control pills are also known to reduce the risk of having an ovarian cyst. Birth control pills do not protect against sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) like HIV, chlamydia, or gonorrhea.
Take Balziva exactly as directed by your doctor or pharmacist. Review the information that comes with this medication every time you get a refill. This information is very important and it will instruct you on what to do if you miss a dose. Take this medication once a day at the same time. It is best if you can get into a routine and take it when it is easy to remember. Many people who take this do it before breakfast or dinner, because taking the pill on an empty stomach causes stomach upset or nausea.
Like taking other medications Balziva can cause side effects. These are generally not serious but if they are severe or do not go away contact your doctor immediately:
- Stomach cramping/bloating
- Vaginal discomfort/irritation
- Increase vaginal fluids
- Breast tenderness/enlargement
- Acne may improve or get worse
- Vaginal bleeding between periods or missed/irregular periods may occur
- If you miss 2 periods in a row or one period if the pill has not been used properly contact your doctor for a pregnancy test.
If you experience any serious side effects contact your doctor immediately, serious side effects include:
- Changes in vaginal bleeding (Continuous spotting, sudden heavy bleeding, missed periods)
- Problem wearing contact lenses
- Dar patches of skin (melisma)
- Unwanted facial/body hair
- Swelling of the feet/ankles
- Weight changes (gain or loss)
If you experience any other side effects while taking Balziva contact your doctor immediately. Balziva may cause similar side effects to IUD devices. IUD side effects include:
- Mood changes
- Breast tenderness
- Pelvic pain
- Cramping (copper IUD)
- Increase bleeding during menstruation (copper IUD)
Tell your doctor if you are allergic to any medications prior to taking Balziva. If you have any other questions or concerns call your doctor for answers.